7-6-04 USS Wadsworth DD516 Newsletter July 2004



Fred Marler - Editor
Don Bullock - Publishing & Mailing
Jim Friday - Business manager, Reunions

Thanks for The Memory
Dear Fred:
This note, first of all, is to thank you for remembering my husband, Zeddy L. Rush, on your Memorial Page of the WADSWORTH Newsletter. It is a loving tribute and appreciated by myself and the famiIy very much.

There are just a couple of corrections that I thought you might want for your records. The date of Zed's death was January 23, 2004. On all of his discharge papers, hash marks, etc., he was GM l/C. The address label has our last name incorrect, also the route. Thanks for allowing me to call these things to your attention.

It is very difficult losing Zed.. a big empty spot that can never be changed. He certainly was proud of his time of service and of all you WADSSWORTH crew.

I would appreciate very much if I could keep receiving the Newsletter. You do a great job. I also would like to send a little something for the print and mailing costs. Would appreciate if you could let me know who to adress checks to.

In closing I would like to say, "thanks for saving Zed's life," it gave us 54 wonderful years of marriage.
Mary E. Rush
Editor's Note: It is our custom to use the rate the man held aboard WADSWORTH. And yes, Mary, you certainly can keep receiving the Newsletter.

Dear Fred:
Noted your figures in the red in the last WADSWORTH Newsletter. This is not much, but a little help.
Yours truly;
J. Connelly, M. D.

Dear Fred:
I don't know if you will remember me, but I accompanied my father, Frank Dupar Jr., to an informal meeting of WADSWORTH shipmates in Seattle some years ago. If I am not mistaken, we met at your daughter Ann's house. I am currently living and working as a UN Volunteer in the Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan, teaching midwifery at the health school.

I have been thinking of dad a lot this weekend, while reading the news of the dedication of the National WWII Memorial in Washington DC. I can imagine how much he would have enjoyed making the trip to attend the dedication - which prompted me to search on the internet for the WADSWORTH reunion. I am wondering whether you and other shipmates coordinated a WADSWORTH reunion with this long overdue national celebration honoring WWII veterans. I hope so, as you deserve the recognition.

So, I am simply writing to say hello and to express my thanks to all of you. Although he didn't say much, I believe my father had a deep loyalty and appreciation for all he met while serving on the WADSWORTH.
Marsha Dupar


Dear WADSWORTH and World War II Survivvr:
This Memorial Day weekend will be very special for fellow shipmates of WADSWORTH and all who served during World War II. Our nation will rightfully pay tribute and honor you by dedicating the long awaited World War II Veteran's Memorial in Washington DC. With 440,000 military deployed overseas in over 120 nations today, as a nation, we respect our veterans, our troops and their families. Today it is estimated that more than 90 million Americans have ties to the military, either through their own service or relatives who served.

As the son of a World War II Veteran, I am grateful to you for all that you have done to help change the world for us. All of us who have been touched by the sailors of USS WADSWORTH, know what great guys you are. And that freedom comes at a price of great sacrifice. Over the past sixty plus years, many stories have been told at the ship's reunions that have brought back many memories.

When I was a young boy, my Dad included me with Mom and he when we went to the first ship reunion at the Wagon Wheel in Rockton, Ill. As you might expect, as a youngster, I had little knowledge of what these reunions were all about. Over the years I learned more from my Dad about his experience in the war. By attending some of the reunions, I have met you and enjoyed meeting your families too.

As a small token of appreciation, please accept the enclosed keepsake. It is a gift to you and your family. May it serve as a reminder to all of those very special men and women who served abroad or at home and partnered in defending our great nation.

Proud son of Benny Payjak, a World War II Survivor

Thanks for saving his life!
Darcy Pajak

Dear Mary and Don:
Sorry I haven't written sooner, but we've been kind of busy. Jack has been having mini strokes for about three years and in November he had two seizures. He has diabaties and in Jan. they sent him to have ultra sound on his liver, and found an abdominal aortic anewysmett the size of a tennis ball. He underwent surgery on Jan. 29. He had to stay in the hospital for 14 days and he was given 5 units of blood. We're trying to get him back on his feet now. We're doing re-hab at home.

We enjoy the mail we get from you guys. I don't know if we'll be able to attend the next reunion or not. Sure hated to hear about the shipmates that have died. We're going to sell our motor home as we are unable to travel now.

Sanderson called a few weeks ago, also KK Kisker. We talked to Betty Pearce after we read about Ben.

Are Bill and Shirley down in Florida now? If so, tell them hello for us. Here's a little to help with expenses.

May God Bless you;
Corthell and Jack

Daughter seeks info on DAD
Dear Sirs:
My father, Phil Metcalf, passed away two days after his 61st birthday on August 7, 1987. As with so many of our cherished veterans, my dad did not talk in detail about anything other than the good memories of his days in the Navy. He enlisted, with my grandmother's reluctant signature, at the age of 17. He served honorably in the Pacific during World War II, and my mother tells me he volunteered for the gun at the top of the ship.

According to his Navy papers, he was on USS WADSWORTH, but I cannot locate any information to confirm this.

I've regretted for may years that I never pressed my dad for information on those years and the people that helped to shape him into the incredible man and father that he was. I'm hoping that you mght be able to help me in my quest.

Thank you for any information you can provide me. Thank you also for your sacrifices and contributions in W W II.
Donna M. Peasley
EditorN Note: If you have any information, Donna's E-mail address is -- dmpeasley@tds.net.

Curtisx Haines Likes NEWSLETTER
Dear Fred:
It is a great pleasure to read about shipmates in the newsletter, and also saddness to read about shipmates who have passed on. As we get older, we must face the fact that it comes to all of us sooner or later and be ready to enter the Pearly Gates.

I sure hope that I can make it to Charleston. I missed the last reunion in Bath, Maine.

I have problems walking, so the VA furnished me with a walker and a wheel chair to make me mobile around the house. Being a diabetic, I have lousey feet, and to top it off, I think my knee is gone. It is my left knee, which I had replaced in about '92. I also have a great-deal of pain in my left hip. The muscles between the hip and knee give me a lot of pain. Maybe they are shot too.

Fred, you are doing a marvelous job on the newsletter. It is great reading.

Eleanor broke her foot several weeks ago, but she is Okay now.

That is all for now, Fred, and again I will say, "Thanks for saving my life."
Yours Sincerely
Curtis and Eleanor
P. S. I celebrated my 83rd birthday in May.




Bits and Pieces
by Jim Friday
Fred Marler and I traveled to Charleston for the better part of a week in mid May to look over some of the sights in Charleston to firm up the plans for the reunion in October of 2005.

We will be staying at the Town & Country Inn located about 10 minutes from the airport. It is located on Hwy. 17 in West Ashley. The Motel is going through an extensive remodeling program and will be completed by the time we have our reunion. The room rates for the Motel will be $89 per room, which includes a buffet breakfast

The shipyard where the Wadsworth was decommissioned is closed. All of the ships that were mothballed and tied up in the Cooper River are obviously gone. The Wadsworth was transferred to the Federal Republic of Germany as the Zerstoerer 3 (0-172) in 1959.

The shipyard now contains some different enterprises. There is a Border Patrol Academy with quite a row of barracks and a small Coast Guard operation for Homeland Security. We did not stop to ask questions about any of the installations.

We toured the Magnolia Plantation, which offers 500 acres of Gardens and Grounds. We will tour the grounds in a nature train. We did see many alligators in the swamp along with much wildlife.

There will be tours of the Historic District. As you can imagine, there is a lot of History in Charleston. The city market, historic churches, the harbor, and the historic homes to mention a few.

About the only naval installation left are the ships on display at Patriot's Point. The aircraft carrier Yorktown, submarine Clamagore, destroyer Laffey, Coast Guard Cutter Ingham and the Congressional Medal of Honor Museum.

Our memorial service will be held on the hanger deck of the USS Yorktown. We will have a color guard, wreath, and bugler. Space has been provided to toss the wreath into the Cooper River.

There will be a tour of Patriot's Point with lunch in the CPO mess. We will tour the Harbor but have decided not to visit Fort Sumter since it does require quite a bit of walking. In all of the tours we did construct the agenda which would reduce the amount of walking.

Charleston is the home of our last tour of the Wadsworth. Some things have not changed. The Francis Marion Hotel still is located downtown on Marion Square and King Street.

Now is the time to mark your calendar. October 11-16, 2005! You will not be disappointed.

"thanks for saving my life!"

Two more of our shipmates have been relieved of tbe watch.

Carl Votopka MM 3/C - Died October 6, 2003
Louis A. Elsesser MM l/C - Died May 3, 2004

It is our fervent prayer tbat these Shipmates crossed over the bar on a flooding tide and have at least found a safe and peacful anchorage

George Hidalgo was in the hospital with pneumonia for 18 days in February. He is taking dialysis at home now and walks in the park to strengthen him. They still plan to make it to Charleston.

Andy Delannoy called to shoot the breeze. He has diabetes and his ankles swell. Takes a water pill to bring them down. He says hello to all who remember him.

Bill Miskill sent a check and a note. He is sorry he missed the Bath reunion. He had a brother living in New Hampshire, who he planned to visit before proceeding to Bath, but his brother died in July of 2003.

Benny Payjak Sent a check and a note. He had tickets to the World War II Memorial but his doctor advised him not to go because of blood clots. He looks forward to the newsletter.

GeorgeAnna & Chuck Wilfong also sent a check and expressed their joy with the reunions and the newsletter. They are looking forward to Charleston.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation
I met Jim Friday in Charleston last May. By the time Jim and Cheryl got checked in and things organized there wasn't much time for anything else, so we went down to the Crab Shack for dinner. Had crab cakes--very good -rich- but very good.

Wednesday we went to the Visitor's Center. We strolled the broken sidewalks of the wrong end of King St., then had lunch at the Rue de Jean. We ate in a court yard with good shade, good food and good company. After lunch we drove down to the Market, which is several blocks of tourist traps, but there are several resturants with good food. Then we drove along the Battery and went back to the hotel to meet with reps of the hotel and tour people. We had dinner at Ruby Tuesday's, right across the street from the hotel. Thursday we went to Patriot's Point and walked a thousand miles on the decks of YORKTOWN. Then we took the boat to Ft. Sumter. It has historic value, but when you've seen one old fort, you've seen 'em all.

Friday we went to the aquarium. They have the exibits separated into Mt. streams and ponds, salt water marshes, the surf area and deep sea creatures. Then we went to the other end of King St., so Cheryl could shop at places like Sacs of 5th Ave. We also went out to the old Navy Yard, but there is not much Navy there anymore. It is the site of a large Border Patrol Academy now. We ate the Sea Food Buffet at the hotel that night.

Saturday we went to the Magnolia Plantation, which was a rice plantation in it's working days. We took the wild life tour, which are rides -- on cars. Since the rice paddys are now swamps, you see gators, turtles, herons and like that. We also took the boat ride right through the swamp. There's lots to see here, but it requires lots of walking. For dinner, we went back to the Crab Shack, which is only a couple of miles from the hotel.

Sunday, we checked out of the hotel, returned the rental car and said our fond farewells. A very good Time!!!

Return to Newsletter-/-Reunion Index
Return to Wadsworth Home Page